COMMUNITY ACTION TEAM:
- Community Co-Lead: Marin County Cooperation Team
- Nutrition & Wellness Program Lead Staff: Elaini Negussie
Marin City Interview Results
- Unemployment, accessibility, and affordability are the largest barriers between community members and healthy eating.
- Food plays a role in creating health and wealth, which leads to self-sufficiency.
- Food businesses/jobs that leverage the community and create opportunities for creating wealth and economic opportunities would be helpful.
- Community food systems mean access to healthy and culturally relevant food which keep money circulating in the community and create self-sufficiency.
- Community empowerment means self-sufficiency, reparations through land and resources, and pride as being an asset to the greater community.
Policies for land access to grow food
Warehouse/ food hub for storing and accessing food
Start up for social enterprise restaurants.
Home catering businesses
Grocery store (Co-Op?)
Restaurants in plaza
Indoor/ outdoor market for home cooks
Young people to help connect different organizations and health, economic, and wealth for entrepreneurship development
Business start-up support
Training youth for agriculture and business administration
Recommendations for a Comprehensive Community Food System in Marin City
- Develop workforce trainings for co-operative ownership and social enterprises
- Support home cooks in selling food for profit
- Expand community gardening through securing land ownership
- Youth Health Educators to promote health, wealth and economic entrepreneurship development